Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Crockpot Chili with CornBread Toppers

It amazes me how many people are intimedated by the crockpot. Honestly, I think it's one of the greatest inventions! Just take some food, throw it in the pot, add some sort of liquid, and leave it alone for 4-10 hours, and you have a fully cooked meal, with little to no effort! Did you know you can make almost anything in the crockpot? Oatmeal is delicious in the crockpot, as is an apple dessert, or sausage and peppers, and even a chicken dinner!

Just in time for this weekends Snowy Weather, and the Superbowl, I thought I'd share a nice warm comfort food that we love in our house.

Well, since it's Thursday, and Tiny Dancer has dance at 4:15, I make dinner in the crockpot. Since it's a chilly day outside, I figured I'd make Chili for dinner. Now, my recipe is from a Weight Watchers cookbook (I can't tell you which one-Í think maybe "Cook It Slow"), but I've altered it enough to make it my own (As I do with almost all my recipes).





1lb. Ground Turkey,

1 Red Onion (Diced)

4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)

1 Large can of Crushed Tomatos

1 14oz Can Diced Tomatos

I small can of diced jalapeno peppers (I rinse my peppers and cut out the seeds)

1 large can of Dark Red Kidney Beans (you could also use light red or Black, or a mixture of them!)

In a skillet, brown ground turkey and garlic. Meanwhile, in the crockpot, add your tomatoes, onion, peppers, and beans. Once turkey is browned, add salt, 1/2 tsp. Cumin and 1/2 tsp of Chili powder. Add to crock pot, and stir until everything is evenly distributed. Top with lid, and cook on high 4 hours, or low 8 hours. Serve with a sprig of Cilantro (I always leave Cilantro out because it tastes like soap to me!). You can top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, etc.

In our house, we top our chili with Cornbread toppers. They are so easy, and a perfect match for the spice in the chili.















Mix 3/4 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of EggWhites (or 1 egg), and 2 tbsp of Oil in a bowl. In a seperate bowl, mix 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour (I use whole wheat), 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1 tbsp. baking powder. Gradually combine the wet ingredients into the dry. At this point, you can make rounds on a preheated griddle set at 325. You can also add in 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, then place on griddle. Cook until underside becomes brown, and then flip over and cook the opposite side. Serve onto of chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment