Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What's for Dinner?


I'm definately a creature of habit. I love things to be organized. Organization make me happy. When I'm happy, I smile. And, who doesn't love a smiling face? ;)

One of the best things that I have taught myself is to have a plan. The plan can always get interupted, but if there is a plan in order, than things will go much more smoothly. I like to plan ahead for almost everything. Meals, clothes, chores. I find that planning ahead tends to save quite a bit of money too!



On Sunday evenings, I like to sit at the table with a cup of hot tea, a few of my favorite cookbooks, and my Meal Organization book (You'll come to find I love Target bargains...and was this ever a target bargain! $3!). Of course, you could use any old calendar. I like to write down on each day what meal we will have. The cookbooks are great to get new ideas from, and while I'm looking at the recipe, can jot down (again, in the great meal org. book) the ingredients that I need to buy for the recipe. I'll also write down the book and page that the recipe can be found on; which in turn, saves time too!

Our meals are organized even further than that. I try to follow a simple rule, that way meals aren't repeated too often. On mondays, we have soup and sandwiches. Soup is 90% of the time homemade. Tuesdays are Italian night. I'll bake a loaf of homemade bread to go with dinner. Wednesdays we either have some sort of Mexican food, or try something new. Thursdays are Crockpot nights, and fridays are always Pizza. We tend to wing it on the weekends, eating lunch out once in a while, or having a FFYS (Fend for YourSelf), or eating leftovers.

I *LOVE* to cook. It excites me. Knowing that my family is eating something wholesome and nutritious, that I have prepared for them is a priority to me. Sure there are days that I just don't feel like cooking, but when Stash or Tiny Dancer say "Dullicioussss!", I know I did a great job. Or, when SweetPea says"more please", I know I can put it on the repeat list.

And, little miss SweetPea has food allergies. She's such a petite little thing, but has such a huge appetite! Having a child with an allergy to dairy and soy hasn't hindered my cooking experience at all. It makes it more exciting to make sure that I am able to cook for my baby the proper foods to get the calories that she needs. I have to be creative when it comes to things like lasgana, but even stash is enjoying the vegan version that I've been making!

I'd like to know. Do you like to cook? Is there any dietary restrictions holding you back? Maybe together we could Make It Happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment