Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Roasted Red Peppers

There's just something so exciting to me when I can go a week or two without having to grocery shop, and when I'm able to repurpose something. Especially, when repurposing is something delicious from my refridgerator that's about to go bad, and live the rest of it's life in the landfill (ah yes, we could-and should-compost, but we don't). And, when repurposing something our families favorite vegetable-the Red Pepper.

Today's plan was to make homemade pasta. A recipe was included with the pasta maker for Roasted Red Pepper pasta. Who doesn't love the smokey yet sweet flavor of a fabulous Roasted Red? Knowing that I had an abundant amount of peppers in the veggie door, I went in to grab a few. Much to my surprise, *someone* had cut a couple of them, using just a small piece, and leaving it there, open on the shelf, waiting for someone else to claim it. I'm pretty sure the peppers were happy that they would be used to nurish our family.

We keep roasted red peppers on hand and use them often. They are great in salads, pizza, pasta dishes, and of course, sandwiches. And, why pay a ton of money for a tiny jar when you can make them yourself at a fraction of the price? The only thing you need is an oven, and an hour of time!

First, the ingredients:
A few Red Peppers, and Olive Oil


Wash the peppers, and remove any stickers. Then cut the peppers in half, removing the stem and seeds. Lay them flat on a baking sheet, and drizzle with Olive Oil.


Place the Peppers in a preheated oven at 425 for 40 minutes. Halfway through, flip the peppers over with tongs, so both sides will roast.


Once both sides are slightly charred, immediately remove from baking sheet into a bowl and cover tightly with a plate or plastic wrap. Leave to cool. No peeking!

Once cool, remove the skins. They should slip off easily if they were steamed long enough.


Once all of the peppers are peeled, you can either enjoy them immediately, or put them in a jar with some olive oil. They should keep for a few weeks. I've read somewhere that you can use the oil in the jar for salad dressings and cooking oil still, so there is no waste.

2 comments:

  1. How do you keep your burners so clean? Nothing gets mine that nice looking except the one I rarely use. I've tried EVERYTHING!

    Love red peppers. They are 69 cents each at my favorite health food store this week. I stocked up on some for the Super Bowl and have 2 leftover. I may roast them to go with Thursday's dinner.

    ReplyDelete